Sunday, May 1, 2011

Videos of my 2 year check up after DBS implant surgery

Here's an example of my lack of computer technical finesse: it took me all evening, with Derek's help, to post these pictures. We finally got them in the right order, but I couldn't get any text to go with the pictures, so I decided just to write the script in a new entry.

In April, 2008 I underwent an 11 hour surgery, awake so that I could answer questions, move my fingers and toes, and let them know which body part was being assaulted with an electrical charge.

I can't believe it has been 3 years since I emerged from the hospital with my hair shaved off at the front, sporting 18 shiny metal staples on my scalp. Sorry, no one took any pictures of me.

Next week I go in for my 3 year check up, so hopefully I will get a new set of videos. In the following pictures, I was doing office calisthenics and hallway runway walking, repeating the whole thing 4 times. In the first video, I am unmedicated, but my Deep Brain Stimulator is on. In the second, my stimulator is off as well. As you can see, I was unable to walk even with help. In the third video, I have taken my meds, and in the fourth my stimulator was turned back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment