Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My story, part 4

I ended part 3 with the beginning of my "Walking and Leaping and Praising God" stage. Sorry to anyone who is trying to follow along - I stuck some videos in between parts 3 and 4 of my story, and that part of the story has not yet been told. I intended to put the videos in as a gadget, not a blog entry, but I couldn't figure out how to do that.  


But - on with the story. When I started on the mix of levodopa and Mirapex, it felt like a miracle. I could walk without the cane, and I had less pain than I had experienced in years. I overdid my favourite exercise (aerobic shopping) and got a new injury - plantar fasciitis - and my old knee injury was bothering me, but I had more energy than I had had in a long time. 


I was asked to speak at a women's event in my church, and I called my speech "Walking and Leaping and Praising God". I got my husband (the only man to attend most women's gatherings- he is a sound technician) to play a bit from that song, and I danced just a little. I told the ladies that I didn't know whether I was healed, or if this was just a Divine Reprieve from the pain, but whatever it was, I would take it. 


For anyone reading this who doesn't believe in miracles, it could be argued that this dramatic pain relief and mobility was due to the medical intervention, not divine. That's fine. I believe that every good gift comes from the Father, even when it comes through human hands. 


In highly technical medical jargon, I was experiencing a phase called the "honeymoon period." This is when the drugs are working well enough to provide 24/7 relief. For some people, especially those with young adult onset PD, this phase can last 3 to 5 years. For me it lasted about 5 months. The next phase also comes with highly technical medical jargon. It is called "On and Off." I don't know who comes up with these terms, but at least my spell check recognizes them!

No comments:

Post a Comment